The Secular Nerd said “let there be nerdy reasoning” and so it began…
We are extremely thrilled to start what is going to be a very exciting journey into the world of secular nerds. What are secular nerds you ask? Let’s explore these two words in detail, shall we?
1. of or pertaining to worldly things or to things that are not regarded as
religious, spiritual, or sacred; temporal: secularinterests.
2. not pertaining to or connected with religion ( opposed to sacred): secular music.
3. (of education, a school, etc.) concerned with non religious subjects.
4. (of members of the clergy) not belonging to a religious order;not bound
by monastic vows ( opposed to regular).
5. occurring or celebrated once in an age or century: the secular games of Rome.
[nurd] noun Slang .
1. a stupid, irritating, ineffectual, or unattractive person.
2. an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd.
Our first word “secular”, is very important to many people. It is the pursuit of a world not connected with religion. We live in a society that’s focused on many different agendas. The pushing of a religious agenda is one huge conglomerate of many sub agendas, meaning there are many different religions, and many different interpretations of their religious dogma. The forcing of these many different religious beliefs in our world has caused not only wars, but skewed day to day habits that infringe on many peoples way of life.
You might be wondering where I’m going with my take on this. It’s simple; get religion out of politics, government, and public places. Don’t get me wrong when I say that though. I consider myself a secular humanist. I believe people are free to believe whatever they wish to believe, but I don’t want your beliefs interfering with my day to day life, or that of humanity as a whole. One very bright, shining, and painful example of what I mean, is marriage equality. The term used a lot against marriage equality, is “the sanctity of marriage must be upheld. It is a union of one man, and one woman”.
[sangk-ti-tee] noun, plural sanc·ti·ties.1. holiness, saintliness, or godliness.2. sacred or hallowed character: the inviolable sanctity of the temple.3. a sacred thing.
Let’s talk about “the sanctity of marriage” for a moment. Marriages between one man and one woman happen everyday. They also divorce everyday. What happened to the sacred oath they have taken? Till death do you part, right? People divorce all the time, yet there is no war against divorce lawyers. The war is against what peoples beliefs are. In a secular government, you would have none of this. We would already have marriage equality. We, however, do not live in a secular world, we do not have a secular government, and we have the religious agendas to thank for this.
The above, is what you can expect on the secular side of this website. It won’t always be “militant”, but it sure will be blunt, and straight to the point. I am a nerd which embraces many of the “nerdy” genres. Let’s look at them in a fancy bullet list!
My nerd expertise:
- Computer Programming (Website design, application, databases)
- Network Administration
- Table-top Role-Playing (Dungeons and Dragons, White Wolf’s World of Darkness, etc)
- Collectible Card Games (Magic: The Gathering, Pokemon, etc)
- MMO’s (World of Warcraft, Star Wars, etc)
- Computer Strategy Games (Starcraft, Command and Conquer, etc)
- Social Network Marketing
- Live Action Role-Play (Vampire: The Masquerade, Dagorhir, etc)
- Star Trek AND Star Wars fanatic
When it comes to any of these topics, I become an elitist monster. I’m very passionate about these topics, but I also enjoy a good clean friendly debate. Why, you may ask, did I list my hobbies and skills? Because those are the topics I will discuss, along with a secular twist (but not always).
So here’s to a very exciting journey together!
– The Secular Nerd