How to Enable the Hidden Dark Theme in Windows 10
There is a hidden feature in Windows 10 that allows you to make most apps, including the Settings Panel to go Dark!
Below, add these two registry DWORD values using Regedit (Instructions on how to get to and use Regedit are below the screenshots):
Additionally, for a quicker way to add them, simply download the Dark Theme Reg file and the Light Theme Reg file (Right-Click and save as) for quick switching back and forth (or if you don’t really care for the Dark Theme after all). No need to log out or reboot, simply close the Apps and reload them. Feel free to inspect the Reg file before double clicking on them to switch between the two (it’s a good safe practice to always inspect registry key settings prior to importing them, no matter where you get them).
Settings Before Applying the Dark Theme
Settings After Applying the Dark Theme
Store Library Before and After
Instructions on how to use RegEdit:
- Hold down Windows Key on your Keyboard and press R to bring up Run (Or right click on the Start Button and click Run).
- Type in Regedit and press Ok.
- You will see a tree like view of keys. Expand each of the following: HKEY_CURRENT_USER > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Themes > Personalize
- Inside the “Personalize” Folder right click on the right and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Rename it to AppsUseLightTheme
- If it already exists, double click on it and change its value to 0 and press ok (Keep it on Hexadecimal).
- To change it back to light, simply change it to 1.
- Do the same for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Themes > Personalize
- If you don’t have a Personalize Folder in Themes, simply right click on Themes Folder and press New > Key
- Rename that Key to Personalize, then do steps 4-7